A woman who worked as a senior official on Donald Trump’s presidential campaign in 2016 has sued the campaign, alleging she faced discrimination after falling pregnant with her supervisor’s child.
Arlene Delgado, who served as a senior official for outreach to the Hispanic community, filed a lawsuit in New York on Monday that claimed she was stripped of her job responsibilities after informing the campaign of her pregnancy.
The lawsuit alleged that Ms Delgado stopped receiving work emails and was excluded from projects on which she had been a part of prior to mid-November 2016, as Mr Trump went on to win an electoral upset in the general election against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Ms Delgado claimed that her career had suffered from the discrimination, and that she was passed up on White House opportunities.
The lawsuit also said Ms Delgado “suffered future pecuniary losses, emotional pain (and) humiliation” after she was allegedly discriminated against by the president’s campaign.
“Unbeknownst to me at the time, [Mr Miller] was still married with a pregnant wife hundreds of miles away”, she wrote on the fundraising page. “Despite Miller’s requests that I terminate the child, I had my amazing son in July 2017, who is the light of my life. It is for his sake that I am putting aside my pride and doing this GoFundMe, to help with my basic litigation costs.”
The former campaign staffer said Mr Miller has continued to extend his own lawsuits against Ms Delgado and “refuses to pay for child care” despite leading a “luxurious life”.
She adds: “If you are wondering what kind of man announces he is no longer sending an innocent boy child support — much less announces this at Christmas — well, meet Trump-advisor Jason Miller.”
Tim Murtaugh, a spokesperson for the president’s 2020 re-election campaign, declined to comment on the allegations.
Reuters contributed to this report